Sunday, February 21, 2016

Debbie--have you seen... J. Albert Mann's SCAR: A REVOLUTIONARY WAR TALE

A reader asked if I've seen J. Albert Mann's Scar: A Revolutionary War Tale published in 2016. A second reader sent me a copy. The publishing info is interesting. It says:
Calkins Creek
An Imprint of Highlights
When I look it up online using "Calkins Creek," I'm directed to Boyds Mills Press. Sometime I ought to find out how all this "imprint" thing works!

I'll read the copy I was sent, but for now it is in my "Debbie-have you seen..." series. Here's the synopsis:
Sixteen-year-old Noah Daniels wants nothing more than to fight in George Washington’s Continental Army, but an accident as a child left him maimed and unable to enlist. He is forced to watch the Revolution from his family’s hard scrabble farm in Upstate New York—until a violent raid on his settlement thrusts him into one of the bloodiest battles of the American Revolution, and ultimately, face to face with the enemy. A riveting coming of age story, this book also includes an author’s note and bibliography.

From the Kirkus review, I see that Scar is "a wounded Mohawk soldier allied with the British" and from SLJ's review, I see that it "sheds light" on the "Iroquois Confederacy's alliance with the British."

That's all I have for now. When I read it, I'll be back with a link to a review.

1 comment:

Beverly Slapin said...

Wonder if this book describes how Washington and his troops rampaged the Mohawk lands, killing many, leaving a trail of destruction, burning crops and food stores and laying waste to whole villages. In the Mohawk language, Washington was called "Town Destroyer," and this title has come to mean "US President."

I remember when Bill Clinton took office and invited Indian leaders from many nations to a confab. As the Mohawk representative shook Clinton's hand, he said, in the Mohawk language, something like "I'm pleased to meet you, Town Destroyer Clinton." I understand there was some tittering in the room from those who spoke the language.