If I was starting a library in a high school, these are the first ten books I'd buy. In reading these books, students would be reading stories Native writers create about Native people and places. The books I list here include fiction, historical fiction, poetry, short stories, and, prose.
- Alexie, Sherman. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
- Broker, Ignatia. Night Flying Woman: An Ojibway Narrative
- Carlson, Lori Marie (ed.). Moccasin Thunder: American Indian Stories for Today
- Deloria, Ella C. Waterlily
- Kenny, Maurice (ed.). Stories for a Winter's Night: Fiction by Native American Writers
- King, Thomas. One Good Story, That One
- Ortiz, Simon J. Men on the Moon: Collected Short Stories
- Tapahonso, Luci. Blue Horses Rush In: Poems and Stories
- Taylor, Drew Hayden. The Night Wanderer
- Van Camp, Richard. The Lesser Blessed
For annotations, see my Native Voices article in School Library Journal.
Top Ten Books for Middle School
Top Ten Books for Elementary School
Download a pdf with all three lists:
Selecting Children's and Young Adult Literature about American Indians