Editor's Note: January 18, 2014 - The title of this post has been edited to reflect its year of publication. See also 2013: Top Ten Books Recommended for Elementary School.
If I was starting a library in an elementary school, these are the first ten books I'd buy. In reading these books, students would be reading stories Native writers create about Native people and places. The books I list here include fiction, historical fiction, traditional story, and poetry.
- Campbell, Nicola. Shi-shi-etko
- Campbell, Nicola. Shin-chi's Canoe
- Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes. Beaver Steals Fire: A Salish Coyote Story
- Harjo, Joy. The Good Luck Cat
- Messinger, Carla. When the Shadbush Blooms
- Ortiz, Simon J. The Good Rainbow Road/Rawa 'kashtyaa'tsi hiyaani: A Native American Tale
- Sockabasin, Allen J. Thanks to the Animals
- Smith, Cynthia Leitich. Jingle Dancer
- Tingle, Tim. Crossing Bok Chitto (If you can, also get When Turtle Grew Feathers and Saltypie)
- Waboose, Jan Bourdeau. SkySisters
Top Ten Books Recommended for Middle School
Top Ten Books Recommended for High School
Download a pdf titled "Selecting Children's and Young Adult Literature about American Indians that includes an introduction and all three "Top Ten" lists.