Sunday, November 19, 2006


Muscogee (Creek) author, Cynthia Leitich Smith

One of my favorite authors of children's books with Native characters is Cynthia Leitich Smith. I've written about her books here before. Whenever I do a workshop for teachers, her Jingle Dancer is one I highlight.

Her website is terrific, and you can read an interview of Cyn at downhomebooks.com.

If you're someone who gives children books during the holiday season, order several copies and give them to teachers and children, and teenagers and librarians, and grandparents whose grandkids visit them...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was disappointed not to see more details of how the dance dress was cut, designed, sewn, i.e.,and how colors, patterns, etc., were chosen. The dress seemed a tad bit generic to me, but that may be my due to my own fascination with and involvement and research into needlework from many different cultures, i.e., I may know too much. Also, as a child, I was always fascinated by the details of how things were made. I just felt the illustrator could have pushed more in the direction of specifics. Thanks.