Monday, June 18, 2018

Update to AICL's Review of THE TRUE MEANING OF SMEKDAY by Adam Rex

On February 12, 2015, I reviewed The True Meaning of Smekday, by Adam Rex. On May 7, I reviewed the sequel, Smek For President. 

On February 14 of 2018, Adam Rex said on Twitter:

Yesterday I posted a thread about my industry. In response, @debreese suggested I talk about my book The True Meaning of Smekday. It's a funny alien invasion book, but it's also intended as a satire and critique of colonialism. And I have regrets about it.

In my effort to write a satire and critique of colonialism, I made mistakes that undermined my message. Reese enumerated these mistakes better than I can here. I encourage you to read her reviews of my book and its sequel.


I'm grateful for Rex's public remark and placed it on AICL so those who read AICL can see it.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am always made hopeful when a writer is able to take on board your criticism with grace and humility and acknowledge when they have fallen short of the mark.

--Veronica