Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Stereotypical words and images: Gone!

Over the years, I've written about children's books that were revised.

A few days ago I compiled links about revised books (some are mine and some are from others who work in children's literature) and inserted them in my post about A Fine Dessert. Today, I'm putting them on a stand-alone page. If you know of other changes, do let me know. This set of links will eventually appear at Teaching for Change.

We are rarely told why these books were changed, and we're rarely told when the change itself is made.  Some changes are no-change, really, because the ideology of the book (writer?) is still there, beneath the words that get changed. Some changes--like the ones in picture books--are significant. All of them are, nonetheless, important to know about.

3 comments:

Meggan said...

I'm glad to hear about these. But I'm hoping someone can help me find more information aout the new edition of Amazing Grace as well as the new edition of Ladybug Girl. I can't find that edition of Amazing Grace for sale in the U.S. I also checked Amazon for the newest edition of the Ladybug Girl book but can only find the "super fun" gift edition. That's great, but not something we'd order for a library as it includes a poster, paperdolls and stickers.

I'm going to look into this some more, but if anyone knows anything, can you help?

Debbie Reese said...

Interesting information, Meggan, about both books!

I'm finding what I think you already found. GRACE is only available on Amazon UK--not Amazon US.

The copy of Ladybug Girl that I saw was at the local Barnes and Noble, and it had those stickers and poster.

Really interesting to dig into this... lack of availability for both.

Debbie Reese said...

Meggan--Roger Sutton of HORN BOOK said that GRACE will be available in January.