- With one exception (Eric Gansworth's If I Ever Get Out of Here), the books major publishing houses put out are flawed in one way or another.
- With one exception (a book I could not get), the books small publishers put out are ones that I can--and do--recommend.
Today I am pointing to the time period for the books. In short, are they set in the past? Or are they set in the present?
My findings? Of the 13 books I looked at (remember there are 14 total but I could not get one, which means 13 for this look at time period):
When I looked at the set published by large publishers, I found:
- Books set in the present: 1
- Books set in the past: 5
When I looked at the set published by small publishers, I found:
- Books set in the present: 4
- Books set in the past: 2
- Books set in the future 1
Another win, in other words for small publishers, for giving us books that portray American Indians as people of the present day.