- Campbell, Nicola. Shi-shi-etko,
: Groundwood Books, 2005 Toronto
- Campbell, Nicola. Shin-shin's Canoe, Toronto: Groundwood Books, 2008.
Santiago, Chiori. Home to Medicine Mountain, : Children’s Book Press, 1998. San Francisco, Calif
For Upper Elementary
- LaFlesche, Francis. The Middle Five: Indian Schoolboys of the
OmahaTribe, Press, 1978. Universityof Nebraska
- Loyie, Larry, and Constance Brissenden. As Long as the Rivers Flow: A Last Summer before Residential School,
: Groundwood Books, 2003. Toronto
- Sterling, Shirley. My Name Is Seepeetza, Groundwood Books, 1998.
Middle and/or High School
- Qoyawayma, Polingaysi. No Turning Back: A Hopi Indian Woman’s Struggle to Live in Two Worlds,
, 1977 Universityof New Mexico Press
- Tohe, Laura. No Parole Today,
West EndPress, 1999.
- Adams, David Wallace. Education for Extinction: American Indians and the Boarding School Experience 1875-1928, University Press of
, 1997 Kansas
- Archuleta, Margaret, Brenda J. Child, and K. Tsianina Lomawaima (Eds.) Away from Home:
Experiences, Heard Museum, 2000 American Indian Boarding School
- Child, Brenda. Boarding School Seasons: American Indian Families, 1900-1940,
Press, 2000 Universityof Nebraska
- Cobb, Amanda J. Listening to our Grandmothers' Stories: The Bloomfield Academy for Chickasaw Females, 1852-1949. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 2000
- Gilbert, Matthew Sakiestewa. Education Beyond the Mesas. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 2010.
- Johnson, Basil. Indian School Days,
Press, 1995 Universityof Oklahoma
- Lomawaima, K. Tsianina. They Called It Prairie Light: The Story of
Chilocco Indian School, University of Press, 1995 Nebraska
- Trafzer, Clifford E., Jean A. Keller, and Lorene Sisquoc. Boarding School Blues: Revisiting American Indian Educational Experiences, Bison Books, 2006.
- Carlisle Indian Industrial School History The most well-known of the schools. Established in 1879 in Carlisle, Pennsylvania
- Brainwashing and Boarding Schools: Undoing the Shameful Legacy. Bibliography of Indian Boarding Schools: Approximately 1875 to 1940 Prepared at Arizona State University
- The Indian Boarding Schools: Keeping the Culture Alive, is a two-part series, prepared with the full participation of the Hopi Cultural Preservation Office. Go here to order the series and view the trailer.
- In the White Man's Image, PBS, 1992
- Shi-shi-etko, Moving Images Distribution, 2009.